BLACK HISTORY MONTH SPOTLIGHT DAY #2

 Hello Fashionistas,

Knowing the facts and history about my culture has always been important to me, but for whatever reason growing up my Mom didn't teach me much about African culture simply because she was never taught. On the other hand, my kids will be knowledgeable about African culture and some of the history behind what drives us to be the best in everything. 

It's important to love who you are and in order for that seed to be planted you have to know what makes you who you are and that begins with your cultural history. Because it's important to be entuned with it that if they ever miss out on opportunities or are faced with microaggressions they will understand and know how to handle that particular situation. 

EMPOWERMENT SPOTLIGHT


      KOBE BRYANT

Dear Kobe
Thank you for everything you ignited within me, that like you I gave it my all. Your truly one of  the greatest to ever play the game of basketball, and that will never be the same without you. 
- Chrystal


Kobe is best known for being the greatest player of all time receiving 5 championships with the Lakers, He made history in numerous ways during his NBA career both on and off the court. 
He began playing at 3 years old and the Lakers was his favorite team, it's like he knew that he was destined to be apart of Laker history.
Kobe played his final game April 2016 and he scored 60 points, beating the Timberwolves 119-115. 

Kobe's history making moves 

1. Youngest player to be drafted into NBA at 17 years old

2. The first player in the NBA to play an 20 career seasons 

3. Is the all time leading scorer in all of the Laker franchise

DEAR BASKETBALL: A QUOTES AND OPINION PIECE 

In 2017 his short film won an Academy award, it has an amazing message and shows just how one's love for basketball can change your entire life forever. 

"A love so deep I gave you my all, from my mind and body to my soul and spirit"

"Is all I have left to give, my heart can take the pounding, my mind can handle the grind. But my body knows it's time to say goodbye and that's ok, I'm ready to let you go"

- Kobe Bryant

This short film was very direct and to the point, I loved it! It also reminded me of my own deep love of basketball. I was a big Kobe fan and because of him I never gave up, I pushed even harder and wanted to become the female version of him. He was always the best player on the court to me and his presence demanded every bodies respect, even that of those players who claiming they don't "like" Kobe respected him. There is no way anybody could say they don't like him, because he was one of the most respectful people to ever grace the Laker court, holding strong to his core values: faith and knowledge. 

My favorite sport is basketball, my connection to the court was something I couldn't describe but the feeling of adrenaline rushing through me that made me fall in love with the game. Being apart of something meaningful and knowing that I can do amazing things with a basketball in my hands. 

KOBE'S RETIREMENT LIFE

 


Founded the Mamba Sports Foundation in 2018 to help support under-served communities and athletes, have the opportunity to play sports. His 13 year old daughter Gianna played on a girl's team that he was head couch for and it was no surprise that she took after her Dad, she was aggressive and sassy on the court. 

 

He nicknamed himself Black Mamba, because his skills imitated those of the eponymous snake's ability to strike at 90% accuracy.

 


REMEMBERING KOBE AND GIANNA

 

January 26,2020 was the day the world stood still, Kobe and Gianna were in a tragic plane crash. It didn't feel like reality to me when I first heard about what happened to them and still to this day it feels the same way. During the entire funeral service held at the Staples Center I was crying, like millions of others I have been impacted by his basketball career and his level of knowledge that doesn't fall short of  empowering and uplifting.

 

Vanessa, my heart goes out to you but girl I'm also proud of the level of strength and determination you have to live a life that Kobe would be proud of you for having. His spirit is within you, I'm extremely sorry for your loss and I pray that you continue to be that beckon of strength your family needs.

 I DONT OWN RIGHTS TO THESE PICTURES 

Thank you so much for coming back for day 2 of my black history month series of people who have empowered and impacted me. Today's story was challenging, because I truly had a deep respect for him and it wasn't easy not crying while I wrote this 💯  Keep God first and stay blessed ladies.


#BlackHistoryMonth #EmpoweringAthlete #DearKobe


FASHIONISTA CHRYSTAL 💋💕

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DATE NIGHT OOTD: KATE SPADE EDITION

Dresses, Dresses & More Dress: Profile #1

VALENTINES DAY OOTD