BLACK HISTORY MONTH SPOTLIGHT DAY#1

 Hello Fashionistas,

I'm beyond excited to be talking Black History Month this year, there has been so much going on that it's time to get back to the root of what's truly important in culture. It's empowering to see and have seen this Black empowering individuals have done to pave the way to greatness for the African American community. I will be quoting from some of the work of the individuals I find need to be bragged about because many of them have made history and that's important to any culture 💯 but I got these images from articles online.

EMPOWERMENT SPOTLIGHT

AMANDA GORMAN

  

"In a country and time where a  skinny black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single Mother can dream of becoming president, only to find herself reciting for one"  - Amanda Gorman



The 22 year old youth poet took the world by storm during Joe Biden's Inauguration 1/20/2021 and her poem was no short of empowering, eye opening and powerful to hear. I really enjoyed her poem she wrote and will be sharing my favorite parts of that very poem here in quotes and share my opinion. 

It's clear why President Biden chose Amanda as his inaugural poet, because she shares some of the same core beliefs. For example, unity, healing, grief and hope. Additionally, Gorman's work is focused on the following topics: oppression, feminism, race, marginalization and African Diaspora.

Of course I had to look up what African Diaspora was and meant, so this is what I found

  African Diaspora is the voluntary and involuntary movement of Africans and their descendants to various parts of the world during the modern and pre-modern periods.​

HISTORY AMANDA HAS MADE: First person to be named National Youth Poet Laureate 2014-2018

My favorite quote from The Hills We Climb by Amanda Gorman

Acknowledging the power of her own presence on stage when Amanda said

"Not broken but simply unfinished"

"Step out of the shade, the new dawn blooms as we free it"

"For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it- If only we are brave enough to see it

WHY THIS THE HILLS WE CLIMB IS INSPIRING

    The power and importance of inclusion doesn't just stop at being accepted by people around you, but it also includes being represented by someone who looks like you. I have a daughter who now has another African American Woman to look up to, and that's so exciting for me because I didn't have that growing up and to be able to see that happening for her is such an Mom adrenaline rush. 

This poem also reminds us that although we go through trying times, there is always room to grow and to not give up. Gorman has graced the cover of TIME magazine and was interviewed by first lady Michelle Obama, which I love so much!!!!!!!!!!!! that excited me so much, can you tell? LOL. 

Thank you for coming and reading this post, please tell me in the comments what was empowering and stood out to you in Amanda's poem. I'm going to be sharing more posts all month long about people who have empowered me and made history in some way. 

Stay inspired, keep God first and stay blessed.

                                 #BlackHistoryMonth #InspirationalIndividuals 

            

                                                FASHIONISTA CHRYSTAL 💋💕


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DATE NIGHT OOTD: KATE SPADE EDITION

Dresses, Dresses & More Dress: Profile #1

VALENTINES DAY OOTD