MY INTERIOR DESIGN ENDEAVOR

Hello fashionistas,

Besides loving fashion I have always had a passion for interior design as well, when I was in high school I took a interior design course and at first I was a little nervous because I knew it included measurements, when math wasn't my best subject. But it turned out to be way less hard then I had originally though it would be and I passed the class with at least an B, but I will dig up my report card at a later time and will correct myself in a later post when I get a chance to find it.
I was recently asked by someone close to me to help them find a cheap interior designer in LA and as we researched online, calling the ones we thought to be the most promising candidates we quickly realized the pricing for a legit interior designer was more pricey then she had originally thought due to the demands she was requesting of the designer to accomplish for her vision. So she offered me the job, because she trusted me and also valued my opinion and of course I excepted it how could I not? I love helping people and making someone's life fabulous is a goal of mine LOL and so I set out on my interior designer journey looking for what she wanted.


MY JOURNEY TO ADDING INTERIOR DESIGNER TO MY FASHION RESUME

 She gave me sometime to research some stuff before I got started so I could brush up on my interior designing skills, find the best stores, find the best pricing, find the best quality items and know exactly what I will be getting to capture her vision for her home redecorating project she trusted me with. Of course I already knew the best place to find what she was looking for was in Downtown LA in the Fashion district, with the budget she gave me I wanted to get her the best for what she trusted me with so I was equipped myself with a notebook, pen and my negotiating skills that could talk the highest car salesmen down a few thousand LOL and was ready to get to work on my new mission for the next few weeks. It was a long day that started with a complimentary breakfast courtesy of my friend at Denny's and she dropped me off to do my work as she had her own errands to run for her family that same day so I was focused on my job.

I got a little distracted by all the fashion boutiques and shoe stores a few times but quickly snapped out of it once I found myself shoe shopping in Lola's Shoetique LOL a fashionista can't always control herself around such awesome items it's a issue I currently need AA for LOL. I finally made it around to a fabric store that sold several different types of fabric for almost every fabric need you could possibly think of as a interior designer or fashion designer.

STOP #1

I went to each and every fabric store in the LA fashion district, pricing each store as I went along but once I came across what I consider to be the best out of all of them and decided this was the store I needed to buy the fabric from. I love the verity of colors, prints and fabric types that this store offers and will be sure to go back there for my next interior design project and  fashion apparel fabrics.

Michael Levine
920 Maple Ave LA CA 90015

This is the main store for the brand and it carries everything in fabric and notions that you may need for anything from sewing machines to zippers. There were so many fabrics and some I hadn't even heard of before, but I knew I had a huge job ahead of me so I went through more then half the different sections to be sure I found what I needed for her home decor and upholstery needs. So I found velvet fabric and a modern printed fabric, the vision was modern day chicness and that's exactly the look I found for both the living room and bedroom redecorating ideas, the pricing was pretty decent and the quality of the fabric was exactly what I was looking for #GotWhatWeNeeded.


FRENCH STAMP - ONYX: $12.50 per yard this was to reupholster  two wing accent chairs and a Islebrook larkinhurst sofa needed 24 yards of fabric for the chairs and 12 yards for the sofa.
Total cost= $450


VELVET - CABERNET: $35 per yard this was to reupholster a Victorian Eastlake settee and needed 7 yards of fabric. Total cost= $245




STOP #2

I love the look of accent rugs in a well put together living room but as long as it matches the scheme of the entire room. Putting it underneath a nice coffee table or in front of the couch are great areas to place them and will make any living room stylish and beautiful.

J and J rugs
830 S Wall st LA CA 90014

I needed to find the best rug to match the fabric I got for both reupholstery projects for the living room and I've always been a fan of modern decor so it was not only a job for me it was fun looking around. This rug store has a verity of rug collections from modern to classic so what ever your style and tastes are you will be sure to find something you love in here.

MODERN DESIGN - HOLLYWOOD H290: This modern/contemporary style rug is chic and of course modern. Total cost= $130


 STOP #3

Macy's
Located in the Downtown LA Plaza

Another part of my job was to redecorate her bedroom, she was sick of the old crap she has had for a few years. I thought to keep up with the modern style that was used in the living room would go well in her bedroom so I stuck with the same theme throughout it all. We ordered all the items online but picked them up in the store location of her choice since they didn't sale the specific items we got in any of the store locations.

FAIRFIELD SQAURE COLLECTION - PARIS GOLD: A 8 piece reversible bed set. This was on sale and the original price use to be $100. Total cost= $34.99

QUEEN COMFORTER SET - MASON: A 14 piece set that was also on sale. Original price use to be $360, but the total cost= $179.99.

SIDE TABLE - SABELLA IN PEARL: A rustic style end table also on sale, the original price use to be $199, but total cost= $139

VELVET DECORATIVE PILLOWS - BLUSH: Two pack sets and I got two of them and this was on sale so original price use to be $42, total cost= $49.98

PRESTON BLACKOUT GROMMET CURTAIN COLLECTION - PEARL: 100 x 84 was on sale the original price use to be $98, total cost= $57.99

GARAN LIFT TOP STORAGE COFFEE TABLE - WOOD: This modern table was on sale the original price use to be $355, total cost= $167



Starting budget= $2,453  
Total spending= $ 1,453.95
Reupholstery total= $350
Total I made= $650

I had a lot of fun doing this project and was happy that I excepted it, because now I know that I do have what it takes to be a interior designer and can make a pretty good living from it. My last errand for the project was to take the couch and accent chairs to a reupholstery company to be redone and I was proud of myself, because some how I was able to negotiate the pricing down which seemed surprisingly easy to do it's Downtown LA anything is possible here.
I am more then proud of myself for accomplishing this interior design project for my friend and I know for a fact that she will be suggesting my work to everyone she knows LOL. My payout was so high because it was a short notice job and because she was so happy with my work she had to triple my original offer of payment and I appreciate the fact that she thought of me so highly for my work and although I argued that she was paying me to much she insisted I deserved it. Plus there was more items I got for her redecorating home project that wasn't added into this post because this was all she was willing to have me share on my blog with her permission, so just imagine how much more I actually did for her and what that adds up to for total spending budget costs= $,??? use your imagination if you will LOL.

In LA a interior designer's starting costs are typically $69 per room and they get paid $138 for their services, the salary these designers make is $67, 009 per year  which is 25% above the national average. So if I did want to make this a career I would definitely make a decent living and having taken this opportunity I just might take that step and use my eye for fashion in this industry to add to my career woman belt LOL. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GIVING ME THIS JOB GIRL ! I appreciate it more then you will ever know and will for sure be taking you out for a girls night soon.

Take risks in fashion and in life, look how it turned out for me it can also result for you in the same way have faith ladies anything is truly possible in life. Stay blessed and keep God first, the verse of the day Isaiah 26:3 says Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee.

#InteriorDesignProject #NewCareerGoals #LaFashionDistrict #StylenistaSquad #FashionistaSquad

FASHIONISTA CHRYSTAL ❣






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DATE NIGHT OOTD: KATE SPADE EDITION

Dresses, Dresses & More Dress: Profile #1

VALENTINES DAY OOTD